Monday, October 14, 2013

The State Of Pop Music

Here are some random musings from the Music Whore...

Bubblegum music is not dead...Have you heard Katy Perry's Roar? This song is proof that bubblegum music is still alive and well and not always made by tweenybopper stars. Thank god for that.

Katy Perry's music is never going to change your life, but when you listen to it, you can't help but feel good.  Plus her videos are the best ever.

I am not embarrassed at all to say, I love this song. It makes me smile and sing a long every time I hear it.




Next up let me talk about Miley Cyrus. Sometimes I wish this girl would just go away. The things she's done for shock value aren't really so much shocking as they are nauseating, but they got the world talking and taking notice, something they didn't do with her last album.

So now they are talking..and guess what....Wrecking Ball isn't a bad song. It isn't a fantastic, groundbreaking song, but it does prove that Miley is more than just a Disney pop tart. She's a regular ole' pop tart now.

I only wish she wasn't trying to be Madonna, or Gaga or Britney.

Seriously...I don't need to see your camel toe..and everyone should stop twerking...especially with men that are almost old enough to be your dad.

But again..the video aside, which is rather bleh...Wrecking Ball won't make your ears bleed. And the video really is tastefully done. I'm more of the mind that the people fussing are just jealous they aren't built like Miley. Hell, I wish I were built like Miley.

As for her VMA performance..that was just fucking weird..but a totally awesome PR stunt that worked perfectly.

And parents, get over the fact that she was Hannah Montana. She's old enough to make her own decisions.

Plus a little FYI celebrities should in no way be considered role models for your kids, m'kay...same goes for athletes. (If they want to do commercials for fast food..its a free country..they are allowed...get over  yourselves!)



Now let's talk real music....the kind that doesn't need PR or flashy stuff to get you talking.

The Lumineers Ho Hey...is truly one of the best examples of folk/Americana...ever. I have to admit..I've labeled this band as Starbucks music. It makes me want to curl up with a book and a pumpkin spice latte and read while my foot taps in time with the music



Lastly...I've been loving on Mika again. How can you not love Mika? Underwater is one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen and seriously...it sounds like vintage Duran Duran...



2 comments:

Janelle said...

I like "Roar," too, but I think I'm the only person alive who doesn't like "Wrecking Ball." Just doesn't do it for me. As for the nudity in the video...no big deal. It's nothing a pop star hasn't done before.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I can live without Wrecking Ball, but it isn't total crap..