Tuesday, June 11, 2013

For The Love Of Cats

My family has always had animals. Growing up, there were mostly dogs. It was my father that brought the first cat to our house. (My parents had a few cats before I was born, but I never had a kitty)

Like potato chips, you simply can't have just one cat. Soon our house was over run by little felines. Some people have children, I have cats.

I love their unique personalities.

Yes, dog's have them too, but cats are different. Dogs are easy to love and be loved in return. Cats are different. You can own a cat, but your cat can be totally indifferent to you, that's just how cat's are, but for some reason, this dog girl became a cat person.

In the course of the last 20 years, I've had over 20 cats. The hardest part is watching them when they pass. It is the circle of life, and doggies and kitties are only with us a short time. It is so unfair how short that time is.

I write about this because this past week, I lost one of my little furbabies, Blinky Mucker. He was only a year old.

I've only once had a kitten pass at such an early age, and it is heartbreaking. Blinky was from a litter of 5 and two of his siblings stayed with us. He was a beautiful ginger tabby. So friendly, talkative and full of love.

He seemed under the weather for a day or two, but nothing that made you think it was life threatened until Sunday, when he went downhill so fast it was unbelievable, and then he was gone.
20130516_16
Some people say they can't handle losing and animal. Once one goes they never want another. I'm not like that.  I think my heart has a greater capacity to love animals then it does humans.

When I knew Blinky was going to pass, I kept telling him to look for kitties of mine that have gone to the Heavyside Layer. I told him to look for Mutchka, Buddah, Misty, Coco and most importantly, Itchy who looks so much like his mom. I told him, they'd help him get to where he needed to be, and that it was all right for him to go.

I'm the type of person that must always have an animal. I'm a self professed Crazy Cat Lady, but believe me, I have the capacity to love guinea pigs, hamsters, and the Critter Country's 2 toed sloth named Moe.

I love animals for many reasons:

~ The won't betray you.

~ Their love is unconditional.

~ You don't have to send them to college

~ They make great alarm clocks and foot warmers.

~ They are eternally innocent.

There are so many reasons. That's why I'm a sucker for these little cuties and why I've always taken care of strays in the neighborhood, so much so that most of them moved in with me. (Including one I'm quasi fostering for my sister until she gets one of her boy cats neutered)

I believe every animal deserves to know love in their lifetime and I'm just the girl to do it.

Blinky, you are a little furangel now and you are playing with some wonderful little furry friends that have gone before you. Tell my Mutchy I miss him terribly and that it isn't the same without Misty sitting on my monitor, or Itchy doing the pick me up dance...or Buddah begging for table scraps...and Coco being well Coo Coo.

I know you are in a happy place and I know you really weren't ready to go. You fought so hard little man and you didn't want us to see you when you left, but know this little Blinky Mucker, you were well loved by all of us, including your feline family.

Your human mama will never forget you.....

No comments: