Thursday, August 7, 2014

Tamale Pie

The original recipe came from the Trax Farm Market cookbook, What Else Is Cookin' On The Farm.

I changed it up and made it so it would serve at least 6, because, yes, I cook for that many people on a daily basis.

I'm going to give you some basic guidelines, because this is a recipe that doesn't really need to be a recipe. If that makes sense.

Ingredients:
The fixins for chili
Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Cheese (I like taco blend)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

This is my chili recipe

Brown 1.5 lbs of ground meat with 1/2 cup of onion and 1/2 cup of green pepper. I use the frozen chopped kind because its uniform, and I can never chop that nice.

Drain.

Add 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce and season with chili powder and cumin to taste. I use a few tablespoons of each. I usually shake it on in, so I can't give exact amounts.

Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and soon in chili

Prepare the cornbread according to package instructions and poor over chili.

Bake 35 - 40 minutes

Sprinkle 1 cup or so of cheese over the top and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Take out of the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments: