Sunday, February 8, 2015

Album Review: Maybe I'm Dreaming


Sometimes you discover a band by accident. I rediscovered this band at Christmas, and I fell in love with them when I heard Peppermint Winter on a tv music station a few months ago.

Maybe I'm Dreaming is electronica at its pop finest. I would categorize them as twee. There songs are sweet and beautiful.

"On The Wing" is the album's opener and its romantic pop that could inspire the next romantic comedy that everyone must see.

To go the opposite direction is "Rainbow Veins" which is more pop, of the earworm variety. Its upbeat and fun, but you just can't make Adam Young's voice sound anything but sweet.

I still haven't figured out if that's a good thing or not.

The best line from this song "Somewhere there is a happy affair, the ghost of a good mood."

"Super Honeymoon" is electronic pop along the lines of Erasure. The bleeps and bloops are happy. The lyrics are simple and much like a nursery rhyme. Its hard to take a song seriously with lines like "We played golf on the moon and tennis on the sun."

But don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this song or any of the others on Maybe I'm Dreaming.

Owl City makes innocent pop music and there's very little of that out there anymore.

"The Saltwater Room" features the baby girl vocals of Breanne Duren. If there were ever two people that were  meant to sing together it is Beanne and Adam. There voices blend perfectly.

There's a bird theme in a lot of Owl City songs, as well as a traveling theme. Two of those songs are "Early Birdie" and "Air Traffic."

One of the best songs on Maybe I'm Dreaming is "The Technicolor Phase" This is the type of song girls dream about. It's pure romance and only slightly sickeningly sweet. Don't let, a bitter jaded girl put you off, because even the hardest heart will turn to mush when Adam sings, 
"If you cut me I suppose I would bleed the colors of the evening stars (My darling) You can go anywhere you wish 'Cause I'll be there, wherever you are (My darling)"
"I'll Meet You There" is another pop love song. Its shiny and sweet and absolutely perfect. Perfect is a word that you have to use when it comes to Owl City. Adam Young has crafted the perfect pop album with Maybe I'm Dreaming and the title suits his style of music. There's something dreamy and ethereal about the songs on this album.

If you like music that feels like a trip through the clouds to a candy colored rainbow land, this is the album for you.

Listen: Rainbow Veins


No comments: