Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Doctor Who In Review: The Day Of The Doctor (A Mostly Spoiler Free Review)

Anyone of the millions that watched the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, had to come away with a smile on their face and a few tears in their eyes.

I know I did.

Without any real plot spoilers...

Steven Moffat delivered an episode that wasn't scary...but more reaffirming what The Doctor and his companions are all about. This episode is about The Doctor...his past and his future.

You'll see one very early on in the form of an asthmatic girl who who is working for U.N.I.T.

But they are all over the place when you watch.

Plus you also have the return of David Tennant's 10th Doctor. He was the Doctor who drew me into the show, and I admit I was a fangirl for most of his tenure, and I love him, I really do, but for me, he was possibly the only slightly downside of the special. Not for any bad acting or leg humping that we got in the Rose Tyler days...(though Billie is in the special.....) but because it seemed like he was having trouble getting back into character.....except one time early on....with a woodland creature. I dare you not to laugh there.

But this special really is all about John Hurt's character. He was brilliant. He had humor and seriousness and a bit of the curmudgeonliness that will remind longtime fans of William Hartnell's 1st Doctor all those 50 years ago.

Probably my only gripe with the whole thing revolves around David Tennant. He just didn't seem to come back into character as well as I had hoped he would. Other people were smashing in their return..but Tennant...just didn't feel quite like 10.

This is also an episode that you want to watch over and over again, because you'll catch all sorts of wonderful things that Moffat tossed in to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the show's airing. Each time you watch you'll find something new.

If you are a Whovian, you're mind will be blown.

10 out of 10 Tardis


No comments: