Saturday, January 18, 2014

Doctor Who In Review: The Time Of The Doctor

I've learned something in watching the last 4 full episodes of Doctor Who.

You have to watch them more than once to get the full effect.

On Christmas Day when I watched The Time Of The Doctor, I didn't shed a tear.

Today when I rewatched the episode, tears poured down my face when Handles died and when Matt slowly regenerated ...or quickly regenerated...however you want to look at it, into Peter's 12th Doctor.

There's so much I loved and hated about this episode.

Matt's interaction with the children in Christmas is really fantastic and the return of the giraffe dance...and of course the whole naked scene....followed by him clothed but naked at Clara's house.

And when the bowtie fell...oh god, I cried. I think it would have been even more powerful if it had been his original costume. If Moffatt had added a fez...I think I would have gone mental.

As far as regenerations are concerned, I think Matt's quirky as it were, was better and more poignant than David Tennant's. Perhaps because, Matt's looking back wasn't quite so...disgustingly perfect.

It is a shame that the story just isn't enough...it isn't good enough to be a send off for Matt Smith's fabulous Doctor.

Matt deserved better, especially after the stellar 50th anniversary episode.

The Time Of The Doctor just felt like a half hearted effort to say goodbye to an old friend.

I think the huge problem with the story is the total lack of action, until the last 10 minutes or so. It didn't feel like The Doctor was fighting to save anyone.

And poor Clara, who is not one of my favorite companions, but she really gets left in the dust here.

Maybe after I watch it a few more times it will win me over completely

No comments: