Sunday, May 17, 2015

Movie Review: Wreckers

Synopsis: 

A married couple moves back to his childhood village to start a family but a surprise visit from the husband's brother ignites sibling rivalry and exposes the lies embedded in the couple's relationship.

Review:  This is one movie that I totally regret watching. I adore Benedict Cumberbatch, but even he couldn't save this boring, confusing piece of cinema.

Maybe the film is too deep for me but very little about it made any sense. If it weren't for the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch is so darn pretty and he is shirtless quite a bit in this film, I think I might have fallen asleep.

The premise is a good one. Nick comes across as a great mentally unstable soldier with PTSD and David slowly starts looking menacing, but nothing really feels like it is pieced together.

The scenes are choppy and though you see Dawn and Nick's relationship changing, when things REALLY change it didn't seem right. The other thing that bothered me was that though they told you a bit about David and Nick's past, you never really felt like you knew them or what were really like. There definitely was something unnatural about them that was really creepy.

I never quite understood Dawn's (Claire Foy) silence. She never asks questions of her husband. The other thing I couldn't quite wrap my head around was why they never painted the rooms in the house when both David and Dawn seemed to have decent jobs. Why couldn't they afford a coat of paint?

This was really a bad movie in my eyes, even if the actors were wonderful. It is an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back.

No comments: