Thursday, May 30, 2013

Why Is This Song Stuck In My Head

A few months back I saw a clip on the news about earworms. (You know those obnoxious songs that get stuck in your head)

Luke Lewis had a great blog post on Earworms awhile back and it is worth reading. Check it out here.

I've always found that the more obnoxious the song is, the more likely it is to become an earworm. Sure I've had some lovely tunes stuck in my head, like The Moody Blues' "Lovely To See You," but for the most part it is songs like "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando or worse yet, "Oops, I Did It Again" by Britney Spears that take up residence.

Catchy melodies are my brain's downfall when it comes to earworms.

However, that's not the case this time.

How many of you have seen the first trailer for the show Copper on BBCAmerica?

The song featured in the clip is "Hard Times Come Again No More" by Iron & Wine. This is not a catchy tune. It is a beautiful song, written by Stephen Foster, but it doesn't fit my usual MO for earworms.

However, BBCAmerica did do something to get that song stuck in my head.

Repetition.

BBCAmerica played that trailer almost every commercial break during Doctor Who.

Thank you so much!

It wouldn't be so bad if the song were available to purchase, but NOOOOOOO! It isn't. It is a so far, unreleased track.

I flip the bird to Iron & Wine for this.

And to share my burden with you, here the trailer with my current ear worm

No comments: