Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Boyfriend Approved Tortellini & Sausage

Yesterday, I had the boyfriend go to the store before I got home. I had told him that I was trying something new with the tortellini and it was driving him nuts not knowing what I was doing. He even sent me a message saying BOYFRIEND MUST KNOW lol. Anyways, on the list of stuff he was supposed to pick up was cream cheese. As soon as I got home he started questioning what it was for. I told him, he would just have to wait and see. Long story short he thought I was nuts for even considering adding cream cheese to any kind of pasta dish. In the end though, he loved it. He ended up eating as much of it as he possibly could and still wanted more. So, I now present to you Boyfriend Approved Tortellini & Sausage.



Boyfriend Approved Tortellini & Sausage

  • 1 lb of Tortellini (I used the 5 Cheese Tri Color Tortellini from Sam's Club)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • Minced Garlic (I used about 2 tablespoons but the boyfriend and I love garlic so use whatever you are comfortable with)
  • Onion (I cheated and used the rest of the chopped frozen onion I had in the freezer)
  • 1 Package of Smoked Turkey Sausage
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons of Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 oz of Cream Cheese cut into smaller pieces
  • 1 package of Frozen Broccoli (the pieces of broccoli in mine were relatively large so I only used about 3/4th of it)
  • Salt and Pepper

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the tortellini and cook them for about 5 mins (or as directed on the package).

2. While the water boils, cut the smoked turkey sausage into medallion shapes. Add olive oil, garlic and the onion to a large skillet and cook on high until the oil heats up. Add the sausage to the pan. Cook the sausage until all the pieces get a nice brown to them.

3. Add the can of diced tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN), oregano, basil, tomato paste, water and stir together until tomato paste dissolves. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4. Turn the heat down to medium and add cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese melts. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. If needed add more salt and pepper to taste.

5. Add the broccoli, cover the pan and let simmer for a bit until broccoli is cooked. Add the tortellini and stir until well coated. If needed, let sit on low heat for 3-5 minutes, covered.

6. Serve and enjoy!

In total, this meal took about 30 minutes to make.

No comments: