Saturday, September 13, 2014

Overnight French Toast Casserole

I always look for a way to treat my family on the weekends. By family, I mean my elderly parents and my oldest nephew.

Breakfast is usually his meal to deal with during the week, because they eat after I've gone to work.

My mother isn't a fan of eggs, unless they are sunny side up, so she doesn't like most breakfast casseroles that I try, even though some are fantastic.

I had some leftover Italian Bread from Giant Eagle and I got to search for a French Toast Casserole and I found this one and Mommy's Kitchen.



Like all cooks, I changed a few things
Ingredients: 
1 – stick butter (1/2 cup) melted
12 - slices Texas toast or any leftover bread, cut into pieces (I used Italian from the grocery bakery)
1 - cup brown sugar
3 - teaspoons cinnamon sugar
1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
3 - eggs
2 - cups milk
The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups but it looked two dry when I went to put it in the oven Maple Syrup

Directions: Melt butter and pour in a 9x 13 .
Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and nuts if you are using them.

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together. Layer bottom of pan with half the bread pieces Sprinkle half brown sugar mix over the bread.

Layer second half of bread. Pour egg mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, remove from the refrigerator, drizzle with maple syrup (as much or as little as you like) and cover with a new piece of foil.
Preheat oven to 350 bake the casserole for 30 minutes.

Bake uncovered for 15 more minutes the French toast bake should be browned and set.

This was so yummy, most of us went back for seconds and at least one of us (no, not me) for thirds!

No comments: