Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Queer as Folk, Or, Why I Should've Watched This When It Was Recommended to Me in High School

Queer as Folk, Or, Why I Should've Watched This When It Was Recommended to Me in High School

Okay, so, I'm crazy late on this. It ended a few years ago & started even more years ago. A friend of mine in high school (during Trigonometry, no less) told me to watch this show because I'd love it, & I never got around to it. I'll blame this on my lack of Showtime & the fact that Netflix was but a baby. And watching it on the internet back in the days before I had my own computer would've probably offended my dad. Which would've been worth it, but whatever.

I really wish I would've fallen in love with Queer as Folk then. I feel like I missed out on something spectacular when it was in its prime, including potentially pre-Trig & lunchtime discussions of the show with my friend Becca. My roommate & I have since gotten completely obsessed. We average about an episode a night when we have a Netflix disk, & when we don't, we search the internet.

There's nothing bad to say about Queer as Folk. Showtime seems like they completely nail it as far as excellent programming goes - my cousin got me hooked on Weeds before I started Queer as Folk, & I'm going to work on Californication next. While Weeds got completely insane sometimes, Queer as Folk is, so far, pretty realistic. It's well-written - the season one finale is probably one of the best TV season finales I've seen - & the characters are excellent. We love every single one even when they do things that aren't so lovable. I think part of this is because even though we're two straight girls, we still see a little of ourselves & our own lives, plus our own friends & relationships. And apparently, 20-something girls was actually a solid demographic when it was on the air. The actors are excellent, too, & while everyone on the planet has seen Hal Sparks on VH1 millions of times, seeing him really act is fantastic. I see him in a whole different light now.

And on the subject of Hal Sparks, if you loved him on VH1, you'll probably love him in this, too. And he's totally adorable.

If I had to sum up my feelings about this show in a word, it would be "obsession." And I really didn't think I'd love it as intensely as I do.

No comments: