Sunday, January 24, 2010

Greg Proops @ The Improv in Pittsburgh


Greg Proops @ The Improv in Pittsburgh

My favorite speccy comedian was at The Improv and I have to say, he didn't let me down at all. (Even though there was no chance @ meeting him this time though because there was a second show).

There were two opening comedians and oddly both local comics were really hilarious. But I'm not hear to extol their virtues, especially as I don't even remember their names.

I'm hear to talk about Greg Proops, the Proopdoggie Dog. The Ocelot King! The well suited man who had white and lavender argyle socks on last night.

Yes, I was in the front row, so I could see his socks. I could also see his well rounded tushie every time he shook it, and for those of you that are familiar with Greg and his stand-up, he shakes this tushie quite a bit.

Le sigh!

His routine focuses on all sorts of things from politics, to music, to Christmas, with a smattering of anything else in between. His take on the Olsen twins is particularly spot on.

I was also quite amused by his take on Hillary and Bill Clinton. Remember Bill Clinton? He was president when peace and prosperity broke out! There was quite a bit of applause for that.

Even his jabs at all things Pittsburgh, from the cold, which it really wasn't, at least for Pittsburgh standards last night, to the amount of cheese on salads here. Uh Greggie, behold the power of cheese, was not left without a comment. See Greg is the master of snark. He's also the kind of comedian that can heckle his own audience.

In Soviet Russia, comedian heckles you!

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard, or at least not for a very long while.

Oh and if you get to the Improv I recommend the Espresso Martini and the Thin Mint coffee drinks. Both will leave you warm fuzzy and very open to comedy, good or bad. Greg was neither, btw, he was fan-fucking-tastic

No comments: