Friday, January 15, 2010

Quick Mention of Haiti

Quick Mention of Haiti

Not that I want to get too terribly serious, but...

As we all know, a huge earthquake hit Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Quite simply put, the city is a complete mess right now, & it's not like Haiti always has an easy time of things as it is.

Haiti is something I'm drawn to. In my high school French class, we got involved with a young priest named Fr. Antoine & who would come once a year to speak to our class, completely in French. Our (tiny) class took it upon ourselves to start fundraising events in the school on several occasions, with the money mainly going to help fund schools. And now, just because we're in America doesn't mean there's nothing we can do.

I may be pretty broke at the moment, but as seen as I even get $10 together I plan to donate. In high school, when Fr. Antoine came back with pictures of the school our money helped, I became aware of how even a little bit of money in Haiti can go a long way. So, here is a relatively large list of organizations taking donations.

There's also a blog mentioning kids in orphanages & the huge problems this has made for them. If you're interested, it's worth the read.

You can also text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts.

And remember: we're lucky.

No comments: