Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pay attention to song meanings Part 1

Hey Wenches, long time no see. I got a little wrapped up in real life things, very good real life things (a promotion and a film-related project) that took up most of my free time. But now I'm back... to let you know... I can really shake 'em down?

Speaking of dancing music, today I'm thinking about the true meaning of some pop songs. Were you aware, for instance, that REM's "The One I Love*" is a song about abusive relationships? or that the Police's "Every Breath You Take" is about stalking?

I figure you folks already knew those factoids, but you'd be surprised how many people don't. I've heard "Every Breath You Take" at weddings, which really skeeves me out. And Michael Stipe has expressed his confusion in several interviews how people can not only miss the point of "The One I Love" but go so far as to make it their song, as in their lovey dovey couples song.

Once I even saw "Yesterday" on a master song list for a wedding band. Yesterday? Yeah, that's a pleasant sentiment for a wedding. "Why'd she have to go" indeed!

So I can concede that art is subjective, but that only goes so far. At some point you're just suspending disbelief and/or feigning ignorance. The latter is what I did at my wedding when I played "Hey Ya" at the reception. If you pay close attention to the lyrics, you'll figure out it's a breakup song. It's hard to pay attention to lyrics while you're dancing, though, and sometimes it's more important to get asses on the dancefloor.

*also, holy shit, did you know the Director of Photography for this music video was ALTON BROWN?!? God bless Wikipedia.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Song meanings can be fascinating.

There are some I'd play at a wedding even though I know full well it's not appropriate. Sometimes, a good song just needs played.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Kinda like Who Let The Dogs Out being played by a bunch of 5 year olds...not really about pups.

Molly Bandit said...

Best radio moment ever, I heard an eight year old request "Milkshake" for her grade school boyfriend. Aw man. so inappropriate.