Friday, June 18, 2010

Rialto Cafe: Greensburg, PA


When setting out for meal I sometimes like to steer clear of the many chain restaurants that populate our area. Local restaurants usually offer something different, and that's why I was excited to go to Rialto Cafe in Greensburg, when we were there for the Gordon Lightfoot concert.

Rialto's is a really quaint little place with very little seating. If you want to sit in the main restaurant, call ahead for reservations, otherwise, be prepared to sit in the bar area. It is a bit noisy but you get the same menu.

I ordered the Baked Rigatoni, which was reasonably priced at $10.99 and I got a Blue Moon beer, which was draft. The bar has a great selection, to those of you that like to get the warm fuzzies while eating.

The meal came with a small salad which was rather interesting. Interesting in that the salad was just lettuce, cheese and chopped beets. It doesn't sound like much for a salad but it was really tasty. I liked the chopped cheese better than grated. I'm still at a loss for how they did that.

The meal was fantastic. The rigatoni was covered in ooey gooey cheese. This dish truly brings the old catch phrase "Behold the power of cheese" to mind. The sauce was great and the pasta cooked perfectly. Oh and then there was the big meatball in the center. That meatball was pure heaven.

My sister ordered the spinach ravioli and we both remarked that we had never seen ravioli so big before.

Rialto's has a small menu in comparison to a lot of restaurants but when you taste the food, you have to admit that sometimes its better to specialize. At a glance I saw some people with appetizers and sandwiches (those were all bigger than the avg head too and come with steak fries) and I wouldn't hesitate to order either. Their Reuban has won an award from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

This is definitely going to be my place to stop when I go to the Palace for any events in the future.

Rialto Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: