Saturday, April 3, 2010

Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor

Matt Smith is not David Tennant. He's not drop dead gorgeous. He's not crazy assed emo and he's not wearing a pin stripe suit.

All that aside, Matt Smith "IS" the Doctor. He stepped into the role that David Tennant exited in January with ease. He still has a quirky sense of humor and he still has an affinity for female companions it seems, but from the looks of it, Amy Pond, probably isn't going to be humping his leg right away in this series.

I won't give any spoilers to "The Eleventh Hour." You'll just have to watch, but I will say, Stephen Moffat has given the show new life. He's taken the "emo" out of the show and for that, I applaud. 10 wasted a season with an awesome companion being whiny about Rose Tyler. I'm glad that Rose is sufficiently gone. I hope that Amy stays with him throughout his tenure as the doctor, as did many of the companions in the "Classic" series.

Karen Gillian, who appeared in The Fires Of Pompeii, is a great companion. She's not besotted with "The Doctor," at least not yet, and hopefully not ever. She's actually a bit annoyed with him at times and that makes for some good laughs. Her boyfriend Rory Williams was a bit amusing and I'm sure will be used in a few episodes, much like Mickey was with "Rose".

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised at how well all the new actors fit into the show, but then again, The Doctor is a chameleon. Yes, David Tennant, is my doctor, but Matt Smith is now "the" doctor, and I think he's going to do a damn good job in the part.

2 comments:

moodyblue2 said...

He was good wasn't he? Wow!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I was very surprised. I knew the writing of the show would be great, because Moffat's amazing that way, but I was really worried about Matt and he was fantastic. Almost as good as David.