Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where Did The Happy Go In Music?

I listen to a lot of oldies. My radio dial is set to 99.3 Classic Hits The Pickle much more than it should be. I like the innocence that comes from the music of the 60s and 70s. Sure there were angry protest songs then, but the pop music was so much simpler and sweeter then.

Listening to The Beatles and The Monkees, Gordon Lightfoot or Three Dog Night never left me feeling glum or angry.

I'm not saying there's no happy music out there, because there is. That's why Erasure and Mika will forever be favorites of mine. Their music will always bring a smile to my face.

But as I was listening to the radio this morning I heard C'mon Get Happy. I mean, that song is sweetness personified and it really shows that even in an era that was less then stellar that there was some innocence left. Is it all gone?

There's more maturity in the music from the prefabricated pop-tarts that Disney tosses out then ever before.

Why do songs have to be about all the horrible things in the world, or why people are treating other people badly? Couldn't we remind ourselves of some of the good things out there? Life isn't really that bad!

Maybe I'm just a Daydream Believer...

3 comments:

Janelle said...

We've traded it for bitches & hos.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'd like to trade them back please.

Janelle said...

Agreed.