Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Restaurant Review: Rock Bottom, Homestead, PA

Rock Bottom is a slightly upscale chain of restaurants that specialize in good food and microbrewed beers. This past Sunday I took my Dad to the Rock Bottom @ The Waterfront in Homestead.

The menu in the place is across the board, from Southwestern specialties to comfort foods. My dad opted for comfort food, choosing the Chicken Pot Pie and I had a Santa Fe Ranch Salad with Crispy Chicken, which came with a nice garlicky dinner roll.

The Pot Pie was huge and full of large pieces of potato and veggies. It was obviously good, because I was pretty sure my dad was about to lick the plate. Thankfully he has good manners and didn't do that.

My salad was phenomenal, with lots of corn, black beans and the most wonderful tempura-battered Anaheim peppers. The crispy chicken was just that, but also moist and delicious.

As for the beers, you definitely want the house brewed beer. I had the seasonal wheat and it was superb. My father had the North Star Amber, which he enjoyed as much as he did the pot pie.


I've been to one other Rock Bottom before, in Cincinatti, and aside from differences in the beer, the atmosphere of the place is also different. Pittsburgh's Rock Bottom is more posh, whereas the one in Cincy is a bit more "sports bar" even in the dining room area.

This location is definitely a great date night restaurant, even if the date is your dad. It isn't the type of place you frequent weekly. Its a bit to pricey for that. The pot pie was $12.50.

This is definitely a place for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself, unless, you have the dough to toss around.

You can check out the menu and find a location at rockbottom.com

Rock Bottom on Urbanspoon

No comments: