Friday, April 9, 2010

This One's for the Music Junkies

You know how in High Fidelity, they make lists upon lists of basically their top 5 everythings, or how over at Andrea's Music Memoirs meme we make a top 5 every Friday? This is just like that, except in actual journal form.

I give you Music Listography. Your life in playlists. About 70, actually, waiting for you to fill them in. Everything from the things we already have worked out in our brains (top 20 favorite bands) to the typical (a page each for favorites of the 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s) to things you've never considered before but doing so is fun anyway (songs you'd strip to). Each gets its own page, giving you 20 blank lines to fill with the names of 20 glorious songs. And if you're anything like me, you'll deliberate & get mad because you have way more than 20 favorite songs, & limiting to 20 just isn't fair, damn it!

It's also illustrated. The "Top Favorite Male Vocalists" section, for example, has a delightful drawing of Freddie Mercury & the "Best Soundtracks" list has that lovely bunny from Donnie Darko. When I first got it, I looked at all the pictures & lists in one sitting.

How did I find such a gem? It was my Christmas present from my cousin (she read my blog & I suspect got the idea in part from the aforementioned Top 5). Why am I mentioning it in April? Because after she ordered it, it didn't get here till last month. I've done a list a night - give or take a few nights - ever since. Tonight, I did "List Bands That Should Not Have Broken Up." For tomorrow, I have "List the Music Your Parents Listened to When You Were a Kid" waiting for me.

I love this thing. I love it so much that I occasionally go back & make changes to previous lists, I'll be bummed when I'm done, & I plan on buying one for another music-loving friend. When I die, I expect - nay, demand - whoever plans my funeral to use the "Songs to Play at Your Funeral" list as a guide.

2 comments:

Molly Bandit said...

Aw man, that looks awesome! Put it at the top of my Amazon wishlist in hopes of getting it for my birthday/ Christmas. Good find!

Malcolm said...

Damn, this is an outstanding idea for a book... I wish I had thought of it!