Friday, April 23, 2010

An Interesting Breakdown of the Music Industry

I'm not going to sit here & act like I don't download music. I did a speech on the subject last semester & a lot of people agree that, at least for huge acts, downloads don't hurt the industry all that much & that not every single download equals a lost sale - it's more like ten downloads to get to that point. And frankly, some music out now isn't worth the price labels want you to pay for it. But I'll let the breakdown speak for itself.

Apologies in advance for the huge pink circles. You'll see what I mean. It's out of my hands.



Now it's not 100% accurate & also doesn't account for touring, merchandise sales, & the new pay-what-you-want trend, but it's interesting to look at.

I will say, though, that you should totally support indie artists & your local scene. Because they do need the money & are more than likely worth it, too.

Personally, I download then buy the album if I like more than a few songs.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Wowzas! Those are big pink circles! However it really makes me feel sorry for musicians.

Janelle said...

Especially the smaller ones. I don't care if multi-millionaires only make fractions of pennies off streaming, but for others it really can be a struggle.