Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Facebook Is Full Of Hatred

I love Facebook for all the time wasters it brings to me. I openly admit that the only reason I'm on that site is for the games. I have Farms, Fishbowls, Pets, Cafes. It keeps my stress levels down for a certain period of time, but what I really hate are the groups.

I don't know about you, but every day I see more and more that are focused on hatred and bigotry. I am sad to say that certain members of my family belong to some of them. I also don't enjoy seeing ads that are politically derogatory.

I don't like Republicans, but I don't think we need groups designed to spout of hatred of them, and I don't find groups that spout of hatred of Democrats to be needed as well. Surely we can voice our opinions, but do we need a collective group to prove how narrowminded we are?

Each day I become more and more ashamed of the human race when I see these things. How can we have survived this long fueled only on hatred? Its a sad, sorry shame. Its also a bigger shame that our two political parties can't work together to do anything for the common good that will be lasting.

What I find even more distressing is how a social networking site that should be utilized for fun and connections can be full of such ugliness.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Well said.

Even though I'm totally a member of the group asking Rush Limbaugh to make good on his promise to leave the country. Although, that's one of the funnier ones. There's a difference between that & being a straight up asshole.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

This whole thing going on on TV about the Health Care reform makes me wish I could grab a Tardis and fly away. I'm ashamed of everyone that vandalized offices because they didn't agree with the bill.

Malcolm said...

Excellent post! Unfortunately, with social media and a 24/7 news cycle, I think the political divide will continue to grow. It also doesn't help that people like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck only seem to be interested in making more money/getting bigger ratings by playing on the anger, fear, and frustration of many Americans.