Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame Is A Joke

Each year I get angrier and angrier at who gets inducted into the Hall Of Fame. When they included Madonna, I truly threw my hands up in disgust. Madonna has nothing to do with Rock N' Roll. She's dance music. There's nothing rock n' roll about her.

And every year the committee that decides who gets in neglects influential artists. I mean, The Moody Blues aren't in there. I'm not bitching about that, just because they are a musical favorite of mine, but because they still put on a great show and their music has touched people for more than 40 years. That in itself is worthy of a nod in my book.

The other thing that gets me are the people that petition to have people put in the Hall Of Fame. Don't they know that's a sure fire way to make sure they never get in? Every year I hear idiots trying to get the Monkees in. I don't really believe they belong there, but if a band like New Kids On The Block gets in in the next few years, then I say, The Monkees should be in there too.

I would love to know what goes through the minds of the people that decide who should be nominated and who should get in. I also wonder how much crack they smoke and why they don't ever share it.

I also wonder at why people should be inducted twice, like The Beatles and then each member seperately for their solo work. I don't think all of the band is in the HOF with their solo careeers, and that's a shame, becuase even though The Beatles weren't as crazy awesome when taken out of the band, each member made some really great music over the years, and that includes Ringo. Also, Elvis Costello is in with the Attractions but not solo, uh? Erm!

I think I find this as annoying as I do awards shows, but at least when the induction ceremony is on, there's usually some awesome music involved. Sometimes.

5 comments:

Janelle said...

It is getting questionable, but the actual Hall of Fame in Cleveland has some really neat stuff.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I've wanted to go there, but it pisses me off that there's a freaking no camera policy in the museum.

Janelle said...

It's implied that it's because of some of the artists. I swear there was a sign that pretty much said that with some of the clothes & costumes, some artists didn't want pictures taken of them so they couldn't be replicated.

There's some stuff that might be damaged by thousands of tourist's cameras flashing, but if that's the case they could easily just say no flash. At least some sections should be allowed pictures.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

that's an even bigger joke because most of the stuff in the museum has been photographed before.

Janelle said...

Exactly. I'd bet there was probably one artist who decided to be a diva about it & ruined it for everyone.