Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Movie Review: Alice In Wonderland


Well, Tim Burton has done it again! He's created a movie that wows the senses with color and creepyness. He also assembles an awesome cast.

There was really no way that I couldn't like this film. It has everything in it that I adore in movies: Johnny Depp, Tim Burton directing, Danny Elfman doing the score, and some pretty awesome visual effects.

But I really can't stop raving about the cast, even Anne Hathaway as the White Queen came across beautifully. I certainly have my favorites in the cast, Depp's Hatter, was delightfully mad and Matt Lucas, of Little Britain fame, as Tweedledee and Tweedledum, couldn't be any better, but most impressive is Mia Wasikowska as Alice. She was far from what I expected Alice to be, but as Alice is being portrayed as much older than she was in either of Lewis Carroll's books, she is more than suitable.

I can usually find something to nitpick in any film, but with this one I'm hard pressed to do so. I wasn't a fan of the books, so I can't be a judge of how well the film interprets the stories. My one bone of contention with Burton is his use of his women in his films, but Helena Bonham Carter was so brilliantly evil as the Red Queen that I couldn't find fault with her.

This was one movie that was worth seeing at full price in the theaters, and I have to say, when it makes it to the Maxi-Saver I may just go see it again.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I'm glad to hear something good about it. My friends all enjoyed it, but either than that I haven't heard much good. I still want to see it.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The PG actually gave it a 3 star review. Its not the cartoon, but everyone should know that Burton always sets out to do it different.