Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why Awards Shows Don't Interest Me

The Emmy's, The Oscar's, The Grammy Awards, The Tonys I hate them all.

Why?

I don't believe anyone ever gets a real fair deal on these things. Plus I have no desire what so ever to see starlets parade around in gowns that cost more than what I make in a year.

Oh and speeches make me want to vomit.

I understand awarding excellence in a field, but who is to judge.

Its kind of like the Rita Awards in Romance novels.

Yes, there is an award for romance writers.

And who decides which novels are worth a Rita? Other authors. Uh, that just doesn't seem right to me.

The thing about all of these awards shows, is public opinion isn't taken into consideration. Its an elite board of asshats that like posh things or just things that "Joe The Plumber" or "Josephine The Plumber" (cos fuck all, women can do anything) don't give a damn about. Granted I think that the general public has questionable taste, because these are the people that run out and see Twilight and also think the books are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I truly believe the Box Office should play a certain part in what is nominated.

Oh and truly, Sandra Bullock as best actress over Meryl Streep? PUHLEESE! I appreciate the fact that The Blind Side was a moving story, but Meryl became Julia Child in that film.

Oh and I stand by my rant about Love Never Dies, if that show ends up with a nomination or perish the though, a win for either a Tony or the UK equivalent, I wash my hands of all awards shows entirely.

3 comments:

Molly Bandit said...

I was in a room with 10 filmmaker/ movie nerds watching the Oscars, and everyone was literally throwing shit at the screen when Sandra Bollocks won. I lost the Oscar pool because I refused to pick her, even though I *knew* she'd win. Buncha crap.

Janelle said...

I don't know, sometimes it's valid & most of the time it ain't.

The one downside with public opinion, too, aside from questionable taste, is that there's some really great indie stuff that would get shut down in favor of some blockbuster mediocre action film or something.

Another reason I don't like them is because aside from occasional drama & great speeches, they're boring as shit.

Hale McKay said...

I had to pipe to agree whole heartedly with you regarding the best actress award at the recent Academy Awards.

Sandra Bullock? And over Meryl Streep? That's the biggest ripoff since Liza Minelli was given the award instead of Diana Ross for the role of Billie Holliday in "Lady Sings the Blues."

Bullock in "The Blind Side" basically played the same character she's played in every one of her films.

Meryl Streep WAS Julia Child in that film.