Wednesday, October 7, 2009

B-side Love

B-side Love

B-sides are so fun. Ever get so into a musician that you set out to get every single thing you can, including those pesky
songs that tend to only be on certain releases? You know, those bands that decide to release one version of the album, plus a deluxe version, plus one that you can only get in certain stores, plus the iTunes version, all in the same day, each with different exclusives. Like those b-sides. And naturally, huge fans & collectors are after every one. Aside from the obvious fact that major labels want their money, is this really necessary? AFI has done this with their most recent release & naturally I want everything, I'm just no longer willing to buy the same album five times for a difference of a few songs. Maybe when I was fifteen, yeah, but not anymore.

Which is why I'm a fan of box sets or b-side complilations from bands. Sure, it's an easy album release & marketing ploy to its own extent, but at least there's only one of those to get. And when done right, it's career-spanning & awesome, like with The Cure's Join the Dots box set that I got for Christmas one year & freaked out about.

Some of my favorite songs by bands are actually b-sides. A lot of The Killers b-sides, for example, I love. Anyone else ever have this happen?

No comments: