Friday, October 9, 2009

The Beauty Of Goodwill

The Beauty Of Goodwill

In the crappy economy of SW Pennsylvania, you have to do anything you can to save a buck. Last week I went to Goodwill. Usually, I reserve Goodwill for donations, but I was with a friend that's a Goodwill junkie, so in I went.

I was pretty much converted instantly as I am a fan of vintage clothing stores and consignment stores.

I'm not saying that this is how you should buy all your clothes, but when money is tight, this is an awesome place to look. I bought top that was definitely from J.C. Penney and another from Ann Taylor for $3.99 a piece! Plus I got a handful of paperbacks at 99 cents! Then to make mom happy I found two teacups that were only a quarter each.

Not a bad deal at all.

Needless to say I'll be going back and combing the aisles looking for good deals on sweaters and whatnot for winter. OK, I'll be back in the corner looking at the books. I'm a sucker for stores with cheap books.

The secret to shopping at any place where you are getting things second hand, is too look everything over with a fine tooth comb, but once you get into the habit of looking at everything closely you can find some great things. Believe me, you are getting a better deal buying second hand @ Goodwill than at a place like Gabriel Brothers where you get a lot of imperfect items.

If you are brave and a good bargain hunter, these are stores definitely worth checking out. I'd really like to find one in an area where there are more upscale residents that might be getting rid of their clothes. One could dream right?

Where are you favorite places to hunt for bargains?

No comments: