Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grammatical Pet Peeves

Let me start by saying that I am by no means an expert, or perfect. I did not obtain my degree in English or communications, or grammar for that matter. I just happen to have a gift for writing and spelling, and when people abuse it, it really frustrates me!

Some examples of my current grammatical pet peeves:

  1. Abuse of you’re. Your = your. You’re = YOU ARE. I am also annoyed when people use “abbreviations” that they normally use while texting when writing comments in Facebook. ur does NOT equal YOU ARE! Stop being lazy and type it out! If you text that much then you must be a fast typist!

  1. Misspelling of words in the media, such as on major local news stations. I know they have to type things out fairly quickly, but with all the technology we have today, I believe a quick run through spellcheck would do wonders.

  1. When people say something such as, “It’s a lot of people going into the store”. It’s = it is, meaning singular. They should be saying, “There are a lot of people going into the store”.

  1. Improper use of the pronoun “I”. Many people think you should always write “John and I’, when this is not always correct. When posting a picture on Facebook, you should be writing “John and me”. If you were just listing yourself, you wouldn’t write “I”, would you? No, you would write “me”. A common error but still annoying.

  1. The word irregardless. It means the same as regardless! Why anybody started saying it, I will never know. So stupid.

OK, thank you for letting me rant. These are things that annoy me on almost a daily basis. Feel free to comment on any of your grammatical pet peeves as well! I can’t be alone here!

No comments: