Friday, October 16, 2009

Sound Alike Artists: Mika and Sliimy?

Sound Alike Artists: Mika and Sliimy?

I always hate it when I see people make really close comparisons to artists I like. However, in this age of music that spawns so many clone bands, its hard not to see these.

For me the lastest annoying sound alike is the Mika and Sliimy.

We all know I adore Mika. I love him from the top of his curly head down to the tips of his Converse All Stars! But what about Sliimy. Of that I'm not too sure. At first glance he seems like a bad wannabe. He has a similar disheveled mop of curly hair. His fashion sense if so far over the top that it just jumped the Eiffel Tower from his native France. His music is distinctly pop.

Having listened to Mika's two releases and Sliimy's Paint My Face I really can't see the why people are comparing the two, other than they both are very very poppy.

Mika, in my opinion, which is both personal and arrogant, is the better artist. He's got more pizazz and personality and his music just gives me more fun happy vibes. Mika has a more distinctive voice too. That cross between Freddie Mercury, Andy Bell with a touch of the falsetto of Jimmy Somerville makes him stand out.

Regardless of what critics may say about The Boy Who Knew Too Much, all the tracks are very listenable and are the kind that you sing along to at the top of your lungs and bounce around the bedroom too, or your office. You can't help but feel good when you listen to him.

Then there is Sliimy. I'm kinda put off by his name to start with. Then there's the fact that he looks like Prince if he was dressed by a few gay guys playing wardrobe practical jokes. But all looks aside, its his girlish sounding voice that puts him a couple rungs down from Mika. The first time I heard him, I wasn't really sure he was even a "he."

Now before you think I'm slamming Sliimy, I'm not. His album is quite good, but he doesn't sound like Mika. He just does cheesy pop music and has a similar style, that in my book shouldn't put him in a "sounds like" category. I find Sliimy's songs to be a bit more trite, especially when he's singing about ebay auctions.

I do love his single Wake Up, which is very infectious, though the way he sings "birthday" makes me want to run for the hills. He also does a creepy cover of Britney's Womanizer that should be banished from the world.

If you haven't checked out either artist I suggest you do so, NOW! I don't think any fan of pop music would be disappointed in either.

Check out Sliimy's website here and Mika's website here

That said I'm going to watch the video for We Are Golden again, cos I love Mika dancing around in white boxer shorts.

No comments: