Thursday, November 5, 2009

Album Review: Ist - Toothpick Bridge

Ist - Toothpick Bridge
Album Review by: Andrea Guy


Ist is one of those bands that sound like an amalgamation of different bands so that when you are listening to them you keep thinking you are listening to someone else. When I first played I thought they sounded a bit like The Clash and then I thought, well maybe they sound a bit like The Pogues. Not that it matters who they sound like, what’s important is that you listen because Ist’s Toothpick Bridge is an album you have to hear.

Why you may ask, when there are so many new bands out there to try? Because this stuff is good, damn good. Its definitely worth a few listens and probably a few more after that. The songs on Toothpick Bridge will put a spring to your step and a couple of songs will stay in your head. OK, a lot of songs will stay in your head. I dare you not to find yourself singing Pep Talk Or Scotsman In A Church while you’re walking down the street.

But not all of the songs are faced paced, but even the slower tracks like Would You Buy A Bible From This Man, which is quite possibly the longest song title I’ve seen in a long time, will captivate you. I also give the guys props for an awesome rhyme. I know I would be hard pressed to try to find a good rhyme for Aurora Borealis. But they did and the rhyme even makes sense. I think there should be an award for doing that. If there isn’t. I say there should be. Cookies for the band!

Its that sort of thing that makes Ist stand out from other bands. The lyrics to their songs have the same feel as many of the old school angry young punks that graced the music scene in the late scene Lines like “When you think with your dick And she thinks with her purse,” are classic. (along with the aurora borealis line which always makes me smile). The musicianship isn’t bad either! I have to admit I have a partiality for horns, being a lover of Oingo Boingo for the last 20 years. This is the first band that used a horn section that made me miss the days of Boingo.

Ist prove with Toothpick Bridge that Ist are on the same level any band in the mainstream. In fact, they are probably better. Toothpick Bridge is a well rounded album, with fast paced tracks and slower tunes performed perfectly.

I have to admit I liked this album from the fist track I listened to, which was The Boy’s Not Right. Every song after just got better. Its got anything you could possibly want in an album; catchy lyrics, great melodies and a pretty awesome vocalist. So what are you waiting for? Go check out Ist!

Listen @ Last.fm
Genre: Indie, Pop, Punk
Sounds Like: The Clash
Label: Monkey Basket Records
Buy: CD Universe
Released: August 17 2009
Rating: 9/10

No comments: