Monday, November 2, 2009

The Great Gaga Debate, Pt. 2

The Great Gaga Debate, Pt. 2

We all know my feelings on Lady Gaga. In short musically, she's not terribly innovative, I think The Fame was overrated, & I don't really like her lyrics.

But then "Fooled Me Again, Honest Eyes" happened.

It wasn't enough to drastically change my opinion of her, but it's a step up. I like Gaga stripped down to just her & a piano. She works better that way. Ironically, it shows that she's not the greatest singer, but for me, that's the appeal. It's raw. It's not disguised by overdone electronics & production - it's real. All you get is her.

The lyrics are better, too. Sure, some of it is traditional Lady Gaga, singing about being rich & famous, but it's also more personal & honest. She actually has some good lines lurking in there - the girl can write a song.

I like seeing this side of Gaga, even if her bizarre fashion choices are still around making everyone wonder. If Lady Gaga wants to last in the music industry, rather than come & go as quickly as so many before her have done, she'll have to keep this up.

No comments: