Thursday, November 12, 2009

You know what? I really don't like "Modern Family"

You know what? I really don't like "Modern Family"

I know that I'm supposed to, because it's the hot new show. It's the one all the hipsters are rallying around, the one all the dirty East Coast Liberals (like me!) just love. It's been likened to "Arrested Development," which I just loved. I continue to watch it every week to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't get into it.

There's something about it that just rubs me the wrong way.

I've never been a fan of the type of comedy that's designed to be awkward and cringeworthy, which is why I'm not the world's biggest Office fan. The show is hilarious, but Michael Scott makes my brain hurt. I want to be entertained, not made to feel uncomfortable.

I don't like the interview segments, while they do work in the Office, they just seem extraneous here. The Office is designed to be a documentary about the workings of a company, so it makes sense to have the individual interviews. What's the point of it here? Was it ever established that someone was making a documentary on this random family? Or are they all just talking to us because they're completely narcissistic? (Which they are, being it the reason behind the interviews or not.)

And while Arrested Development's humor came from its large lot of eccentric characters, this lot seems less eccentric and more stereotypical, almost insultingly. They are not characters so much as caricatures. The Columbian trophy wife, the soccer mom, the vapid teenage girl, the gays, the Asian baby. It seems lazy. All of these characters are already written.

In short, the concept seems to me like something that would have been a great SNL sketch, but I can't see the purpose for an entire show.

No comments: