Friday, November 6, 2009

Mmmm French Fries


Mmmm French Fries

Why is it that the foods that are the worst for the waistline are always the ones that taste the best?

I love french fries. I always have. I'm always on a quest for good fries.

So far in the Pittsburgh area, some of the best fries I've had are at the Potato Patch at Kennywood Park. That's truly a given if you are from The Burgh. Primanti Brothers restaurant comes in a close second, and they are a Burgh tradition, putting those wonderful fries on your sandwich with a sweet and sour slaw. Sounds strange, but it tastes freaking wonderful. Lastly there's a little restaurant in Belle Vernon called Sonny's that makes the most awesome fries I've ever tasted. They are so crispy and they taste like they have a coating on them. Mmmm.

I don't know what it is about fries, but I can usually tell if I like them just by looking at them. Those thin fries you get at most of the fast food restaurants are terrible. You can't even get them home from the drive thru and they are cold and hard as rocks, and if they are from McDonald's (at least the on in Charleroi) they are so salty its ridiculous. One local restaurant used to make fries so thin that they had no flavor at all and you had to douse them with ranch or ketchup to make them worth eating. Thankfully they've made some changes to their fries, and they are no edible without any condiments.

So where do you get the best fries in your area? Give me your best and worst!

No comments: