Saturday, November 28, 2009

When Did Strawberry Shortcake Become A Slut?

When Did Strawberry Shortcake Become A Slut?

I just got my Target sale paper for the week and I was totally freaked out by the new look of Strawberry Shortcake. I grew up with these dolls. I watched the cartoons. This was my life, and fuck it all, they are messing with it terribly.

In the eighties Strawberry Shortcake looked like this:



She was cute, and she smelled tasty!

The doll looks like this now:



Yikes! What happened to the little country girl looking doll? She almost looks like one of those Bratz dolls and she's wearing a micro mini! For crying out loud that's just ridiculous. I'm not saying she's not a cute doll..but I'm saying she's more for little kids and Strawberry is dressed like a teenager.

I don't have children, but seriously why do all the dolls have to look so damn slutty? I'm not a prude by any means but I think there is a time and a place for everything. People have bitched about Barbie for years, but my stand on Barbie is that she is a FASHION doll, but dolls that are supposed to be little kids should look like little kids and not like the little kids that some unfulfilled mom tramps up to be in a beauty pageant.

Can we just let kids be kids and play with toys that look a little less street corner-ish? Its bad enough that clothes for little girls make them look older than they should be, but that's another rant all together.

Yup...another part of my childhood, destroyed.

No comments: