Thursday, February 25, 2010

Annoyed At The Pittsburgh Post Gazette

The cover of the paper's magazine section really pissed me off today. Eric Clapton and Roger Daltrey are making their way to Mellon Arena tonight.

Great show.

Well then why did the PG have to make a nasty jab at the old adage that Clapton Is God? It certainly isn't exactly nice to say to a man that almost always puts on a quality performance and where his personal life might not be the pristine, it hardly merits acover that says Clapton Was God? And yeah, it punctuated it with a question mark.

How rude!

Then Scott Mervis proceeded to discuss Clapton's place in great guitar players history with this joke;

"What do coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?"

"They're only good with Cream."

Really Scott? That's kinda low. Sure his best work was his early work, but isn't that the case with all classic rock greats?

I can see putting Jimmy Page at the top. He rocks always has and always will. I don't believe Hendrix deserves a top spot because he didn't get a chance to prove his versatility in the long run. Of course, dying shouldn't be held against him, but it also shouldn't guarantee him a spot in top 3.

The whole tone of the article left me wondering if Clapton turned down an interview with Scott. I can't imagine another reason to be so negative when a guy is coming to town to play a show.

That said, I can't believe I just defended Eric Clapton.

3 comments:

Malcolm said...

Although I laughed at the "what do coffee and Eric Clapton have in common joke", it was kinda cold. I think you are right about Scott Mervis holding a grudge against Clapton.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I laughed at the joke too, but it left me with a funny taste in my mouth afterwards. Maybe Mervis is jealous that Clapton shagged Sheryl Crow.

Malcolm said...

Clapton and Crow?! I had no idea!