Saturday, February 20, 2010

Movie Review: The Ugly Truth

I admit it. I love romantic comedies, but I have to say I like them more when its more comedy than romance. I also judge what I'm going to like by how the movie critics rate it. If they say it sucks, then I automatically go to see it.

Why?

I like fluff.

I can tell you right now I've only seen one or two movies that have been up for Best Picture Oscar nods. I don't like serious stuff. I like to be amused. So when this came out, and when it starred Gerard Butler, who I happen to think is a a hunk of burning love, I decided I would see it. I didn't get to see it in a theater though, because I almost never make it to the movies.

Last night the DVD got popped into my player and Mom, Raymond and I sat down to watch.

Its a raunchy romp between Butler (Mike Chadaway) and Heigel (Abby Richter). Mike's trying to teach Abby what men want so that Abby can snag the hot doctor that lives next door.

Now we all know what's going to happen there right? Its obvious that that hookup may happen but it won't last, but it doesn't matter what comes between is really hilarious, if you are into sexual humor. Its not crude but it gets pretty close. My 76 year old mother laughed her ass off. We were all on the floor during the scene with the vibrating undies. That was almost as good as the "faked orgasm in the deli" from When Harry Met Sally.

This movie certainly isn't one that I would have paid $10.00 to see in its first weeks of release but its a good Maxi Saver movie or DVD film. Its funny, its cute and it passed the time nicely. If you need a good laugh, this one is worth the rental fees or being part of your Netflix cue.

No comments: