Monday, February 22, 2010

Technology Is Awesome

Be prepared for a rant on how technology also sucks in the near future, because you can't win 'em all.

One of the joys of sharing a digital camera is the fact that even when I ask someone not to delete pictures until I can get them uploaded, there's a good chance that they'll get deleted anyway. My dad managed to delete all of the pictures I took on Christmas Day, & maybe more than half of the ones I took a few days later at a concert.

Call it denial or an unwillingness to accept defeat & let my photos fall into cyber-oblivion, but I decided to look into recovering deleted pictures from a memory card. Maybe everyone else knew this was possible - I had a hunch it might be - but the fact that it is made me super excited.

What I found was a program called Zero Assumption Recovery. You can download it for free, so in case of unfortunate accidents with the "delete" button, it might not be bad to get. I was able to scan my memory card & it picked up almost all of the missing pictures, plus ones I'd deleted months before that. After it scans, you can preview whatever it found & decide what to save.

It's not completely perfect. Naturally, the more pictures that were taken after the deleted ones, the less likely it is that you'll be able to recover them. Sometimes the complete image isn't saved, but still, it's better than nothing.

No comments: