Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Huntington Prime in Huntington, WV

It's been a few weeks since we've had a restaurant review, so I though I'd fill the foodie gap. This month marked the 1-2 punch of Valentine's Day and my six month anniversary, so my husband took me out on a fancy date. A posh new restaurant Huntington Prime had opened up in Huntington, and this gave us the perfect opportunity to check it out.



The restaurant has a very hip New York vibe. and it's TINY. Not sure exactly how many people it seats, but my estimate would be around 30. [Note: official count says 50.] Needless to say it was pretty packed and gave the place an intimate, elite cool feeling.

In addition to being the rare fancy food haven in the area, it's also the first to really focus on locally-grown foods. The menu changes seasonally according to whatever foods are available from West Virginia farmers. It's got a definite comfort food bent but with some flare and experimentation, unlike other area steakhouses that shall remain nameless (though one immediately comes to mind that used to be a classy place with tiramisu and now feels like a redneck Applebee's)

So yeah, the food. We split an order of mini crab cakes and literally inhaled them... those were seriously one of the top five things I've eaten in my life. Super rich and delicious with homemade red pepper jelly dipping sauce. I had rainbow trout, which was pretty good, but what set the meal over the top were the veggies. The potatoes were boss and melted in your mouth with delicate buttery goodness, plus I got introduced to a new vegetable broccolini.


If you're in the area and have the cash to splurge, check it out. Expect a wait, but be wowed by the food. I'll be back in the spring because (1) they were out of lamb, which I was dying to check out and (2) rumor has it they have Bailey's Irish Cream cheesecake and Grand Marnier tarts. Oh, and be sure to check out the super rad sinks in the bathrooms.

Huntington Prime on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

As soon as I get some extra cash I am so coming to Huntington to visit you!