Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Hate You Hating the New Facebook


I Hate You Hating the New Facebook

There's a time I dread every year, a time of great trepidation in Internetland: the roll out of this year's Facebook redesign. And unlike the 5 billion groups that pop up two days later, I don't hate the new designs. No, what I hate is constantly hearing how much everyone else hates it.

I get an average of two group/fanpage invites a day the first two weeks of the new Facebook roll out to the effect of "Thousands of children are homeless in Haiti, but the new Facebook is the worst tragedy of the year." And I promptly delete them. Why? Because - gasp! - usually I like the Facebook redesigns. When I don't, I suck it the fuck up and get used to it.

The thing I hate the most is the barrage of status updates bitching about the redesign. Most of these are folks under the age of 25 going "Waaaa I can't find ANYTHING!" The reason I hate this so much is because these are the exact same folks that say, "OMG, old people (read: anyone older than them, median age of old = 23+ I wish I were joking) don't know NEthing about the internet! LOL!"

Hey, bitching people! Pot calling the kettle black much? The first day your Facebook profile updates to the new design, they have a fucking tutorial that tells you exactly where everything moved or changed. Most of the changes are cosmetic and don't have a huge impact on your user experience, too. So either clam the fuck up or have a little sympathy when someone older than you (usually your parents, but also reserved for the nameless faceless Olde People) doesn't immediately know how to upload photos on their computer or use Twitter.

Caveat: This is mostly reserved for youngins and mombies who live on Facebook. If you have a for really realz job or actual grownup responsibilities, you get a free pass because, God forbid, you don't log onto Facebook every 12 seconds.

PS Rant-within-a-rant: Hey, same group of people that clogs up my newsfeed with this bullshit? STOP MAKING ME FEEL OLD. Seriously, one of you saw the Phantom Menace when you were in SECOND GRADE. There is a very appropriate Garth Brooks song title I could wax poetic about if I didn't want to stab everyone of you in the eye socket right now.

4 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Truthfully. I have to say. I hate what they did. I'll stamp my foot and say, if you have something that ain't fucking broke you shouldn't fucking try to fix it. I've found everything, but it doesn't make navigating the site any easier, and it doesn't make the site any cleaner to look at.

In a few words, it fucking sucks. However I'd rather deal with Facebook suckage than asshats tweeting on Twitter.

Yes, the snow has made me cranky and fucking bitter.

Blueyedangela said...

I couldn't agree more, Molly. Everybody bitches every time they make changes to it, and then get used to it about 2 weeks later and it becomes a normal part of life again. And young people make fun of "old" people for not dealing with change well, and being set in their ways. Ha!

Janelle said...

My Facebook still looks the same & even if it didn't, I probably wouldn't care. As long as I can keep my language on Pirate.

Speaking of, you want something hard? Figuring out what everything is when your language is set to Pirate. Not that I couldn't have changed it back, but really.

Jenna said...

I only just got the new version yesterday, so it's doubly frustrating when you don't have any idea what it looks like and people are bitching.

My thoughts are that whether or not you like the new version, you're shit out of luck because it's here to stay. So better to just accept it, learn it and move on than amplify the annoyance by constantly complaining about it.

That being said, I kind of like the new version. It's spiffy.