Thursday, February 4, 2010

This Is Something I Just Don't Understand

I watch several shows on BBC America. Shows that apparently hair between 8-10 in the UK and one thing that's always baffled me, is how America, the land of the free, yada yada yada, gets all up in arms over a naked tit, a swear word, homosexuality displays and yet in Britain, you can say Fuck, bare your bottom and a myriad of other things and there's no huge fines levied on people or people up in arms.

Why is this?

I watched The Inbetweeners last night, a show I find hilarious in its total "realness" and half of the dialogue was bleeped. Basically cos teenage boys swear a lot.

Do ya think?

You can't drop the f-bomb in prime time. Nope, not even on cable.

Think of the children! (As if mommy's little preciouses haven't heard "fuck" on the school bus a bazillion times)

Oh and on Being Human, when George and now his girlfriend change into werewolves, you see some pretty shapely bums in the process. That sort of nudity can only be shown in the 10 o'clock hour here in the US, cos all the little kiddies are in bed then.

WTF!

Seriously! WTF!

I know this is a regular gripe of mine, but the more European TV I watch, the more I just wonder how long we can live with our heads up our asses without suffocating!

Vulgar/swear words have obviously not turned everyone in Europe into a bunch of potty mouthed anarchists (maybe a few of them..but I'd say that was the same here). I'm also sure that nudity hasn't harmed anyone either, nor has any public displays of homosexuality. (Can I say, TORCHFUCKINGWOOD).

~sigh~

I'm so damn confused.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I think the watershed is at 9, isn't it? Anything after that is nationally known to be not for the little wankers. I think it's brilliant!

However, you must admit, that young people in Britain today are complete fuckers. Not that I'm blaming that on the TV, but the little shits can barely speak English and knife people like it's going out of style. As my friends would say: "F'in chavs."

I like the British TV take, and no one who complains about the downfall of the youth blame it on the entertainment so much as the benefits system.

I know I've gone on too long, but it's awesome that British TV can have Captain Jack kissing anything that moves when popular US movies (Valentine's Day, in this example) have to edit out the gay relationship in the movie advertising (Bradley Cooper & Eric Dane - hello! hotness!) just to get people to show up.