Saturday, February 27, 2010

Movie Review: Serenity

I didn't jump on the bandwagon with Joss Whedon's Firefly until now, basically because I fell in love with Nathan Fillion's Castle. My nephew finished watching that series so we were finally allowed to watch Serenity last night.

I think Joss Whedon must be good friends with Russell T. Davies because the way I felt when the film ended was much like how I feel at every Doctor Who finale, but it did seem to give the whole story closure, so at least in that respect Josh isn't a sadistic bastard.

The movie blended comedy with sometimes serious and managed to not end up ridiculous. Perhaps it had to do with the cast, all of which were pretty and pretty damn good actors. Heading the cast is Nathan Fillion, one hunk of burning love. Seeing him in this made me giggle because I saw a bit of Richard Castle in Mal Reynolds. Then there was Adam Baldwin who's Jayne Cobb pretty much is Casey from Chuck. Somebody does some method acting, methinks, but I'll forgive him, because I adore Adam Baldwin. Then there's David Krumholtz aka the nerdy guy on Numb3rs to round out the cuteness quotient.

The story was one that would keep any lover of strange sci-fi amused, and even those that aren't that keen. (The eye candy alone makes this a film worth watching)

Mal and his crew of space cowboys (erm...pirates) pick up Simon and his "special" sister River who has psychic ablilities and a little more. After narrowly escaping the Reavers Simon decides he wants to take River and leave the ship "Serenity."

When the ship has landed and Mal is negotiating the pay for their job, River shows up and proceeds to kick some serious ass. If not for her brother showing up and muttering a "safe word," there probably wouldn't have been a soul in the building uninjured.

This outburst allows Alliance to find out where River is and the fun begins in the battle to keep Alliance from taking River.

I really found the movie to be well written and acted. For a movie that has a huge cult "geek" following it really was more entertaining then campy or ridiculous. I really can't fathom why it didn't do better in the box office, except that the show had such a short run that more people didn't know enough to be interested.

If you haven't seen this film yet, and you like quirky Sci-Fi stuff, watch this. Actually if you like that sort of thing, I have to wonder why you haven't seen this movie already.

No comments: