Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story

Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story

Okay, Izzard fanatics - this one's just for us.

I will devour anything that has this man's name on it, because he's hilarious, a good guy, & I'm hopelessly in love with him. This documentary shows a whole other side to him.

Yeah, it's funny. Eddie Izzard is in it, of course it's funny. But it's also surprisingly moving, & in a few ways, inspiring. You see Eddie in a way you never have before. We're used to him being funny, talkative, & lively, but here you all that plus a more quiet, reflective, insecure, and even emotional side to him. And it's nice to see, but also a little heartbreaking. We see Eddie Izzard actually in tears. Hard to picture, isn't it?

It's a very honest documentary. Suddenly, Eddie Izzard is so much more than just a devastatingly funny guy who occasionally cross-dresses. Personally, I found myself able to relate to him in some parts, & it made me love him all the more.

It's not full of sadness, though - just snippets. But it is full of other interviews, not just Eddie. Friends, his dad, etc. Plus vintage home movies, clips of his very early street performing days, & home movies & baby pictures! Who doesn't love that? And he was the cutest little kid ever. Seriously.

This is definitely one the fans want to check out. And the great news is, you can do so on the internet for free! Legally! Thank Eddie himself for Tweeting this. Go to www.epixhd.com/invite to get yourself an invite code, & watch it. And while you're at it the code gives you free access to the site for about four days, so take advantage of it & stream as many movies as your heart desires. If you're in the mood for more Izzard, they have the new-ish Live in Wembley show up there, too.

And if you're not familiar with Eddie's stand-up, get off the internet & go watch it because it will not disappoint.

And for the record, if you get the chance, go see the man live. True story: I saw him in Pittsburgh, & laughed so hard I cried. Then the next day someone referenced one of the jokes & I went into hysterics.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I've loved Eddie Izzard ever since I saw Velvet Goldmine a million years ago and there was a wall sized photo of him dressed as Marilyn Monroe behind his characters desk. Dude is comedy genius. My roommate and I will often randomly say "Do you have a flag?" or "Because there's a fucking H in it!" to each other for kicks.

Janelle said...

Oh my God, I missed that part in the movie. And I always forget he's in it. I do that with some of his other movies, too, where he has a more minor character. It ends up being like a bonus gift every time I watch any of those movies.

My brother & I do that, too.

I love this man too much.