Thursday, September 10, 2009

An Artist You Probably Haven't Heard About, But Should Have

An Artist You Probably Haven't Heard About, But Should Have

Let me introduce you to one of my favorite artists, Judd Starr.

Back Cover small For Web


Pretty isn't he? Don't tell him, but I often judge books and music by their covers and when I first saw the cover for Spirit & Skin I was rather drawn to it. Ok, so maybe I was drawn to his picture, but we're not telling him that, right?

The song Please Penny is the one that truly won me over. In fact, its a given that if I listen to this song once, its going to be put on repeat and will probably get played 50 times or until someone comes and yells that they are sick of hearing that damn song. Like you could get sick of it. I've often described Please Penny as a song Simon Lebon of Duran Duran only wishes he had written.

Judd has a marvelous way of channeling the 80s and then sprinkling something modern on top for good measure, which brings me to what I really wanted to talk to you about. It seems awhile back he recorded a version of the Bacharach tune; Always Something There To Remind Me with his friend Ryan.

You can listen to it on his Myspace

Its nothing like the Naked Eyes version that we're all familiar with.
The first time I heard it, I didn't think it was the same song I hear once daily on BOB.FM. In fact it sounds like Judd and Ryan were doing their best to sound like Depeche Mode.

Judd, first you upstage Simon Le Bon and now I find you've also upstaged Dave Gahan!

Take a bow! You have achieved greatness!

It baffles me that Judd's not a household name for several reasons:

1. He's immensely talented. Go to CDBaby and listen to the sound clips from both of his albums and be dazzled.

2. He's gorgeous. Now we all know that anymore this is the only reason about 99.9% of the artists on the airwaves get signed. Judd is gorgeous and he's got talent. Uh excuse me...why then is this man not known everywhere? Why am I not buying tickets to see him in concert? Huh? HUH!!

Further proof that anything that would bring me joy must not ever come to pass. (Sorry Judd, that my lousy karma is keeping you from playing one of the 7 layers of concert hell in Pittsburgh, PA)

So now you know one of the most fabulous artists out there. Buy his music. Tell your friends to buy his music. Convert the world! You can thank me any time you want for introducing you to this wonderful artist.

No comments: