Monday, September 14, 2009

Local Bands: My Cardboard Spaceship Adventure

Local Bands: My Cardboard Spaceship Adventure

Every so often, I'd like to post about bands in the Pittsburgh area as I discover them or when someone has a new project going on. Starting with my newest find, My Cardboard Spaceship Adventure.

Yeah, the name's a mouthful. But you have to admit, it's different & gets attention.

Like many bands around here, I found out about them when they were opening for Punchline, another band from the area, but that's another post for another day. From the beginning of their set to the very end, I was impressed. I bought their EP (for $3!) & listened to it in the car on my way home.

Here's the thing: they're just plain fun. As I let the EP play, I smiled. Best described as a pop-punk band, they're upbeat both musically & lyrically. A song called "You Equals Awesome" is bound to make you feel good. Even though they'd appeal mainly to a high school or college audience, they shouldn't be written off. They know how to write a good, catchy song & put on a show, & they've got some great lyrics. Plus they're new & independently released their EP, Let's Play It Safe, & have opened for Mae. They have plenty of room to grow. And best of all, although their exact style isn't quite new to music, they still have managed to be a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Songs to listen to: "Warning Signs", "Shot Down", & "You Equals Awesome" - including the acoustic version. And for a laugh, go for "Dude I Mean Seriously It's the 1st Song" & "Voicemail".

If you're in the Pittsburgh area, check out one of their shows if you see them out. No matter where you are, give them a listen on their MySpace. You can also find them on iTunes, Amazon, & Rhapsody.

No comments: