Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm really looking forward to "Glee"

I'm really looking forward to "Glee"

Fox's new fall hit, Glee, is totally right up my alley, and I'm psyched for some serious fun this season.

The idea, if you don't know, is that an eager teacher and a group of theater misfits at a local high school band together to revive the school's glee club. They are absolutely ridiculed by the cheerleaders and their evil coach.

The grand finale of the pilot episode that they aired last season ended with a choral performance of "Don't Stop Believin'" which was possibly the funniest thing I'd seen on TV all year. Journey + show chorus = Penultimate Cheese. How can you not love that?

The second episode that aired last week featured the skinny white boy teacher singing Kanye's "Gold Digger," which I enjoyed much more than the actual song.

Now, I sang in the chorus in high school, but we sure never had anything this fun. I was totally a theater geek, and still am really. I sang along to the soundtrack to "The Sound of Music" all the way to work last week, so I am totally the target audience, but from what I can tell so far, I think it's the kind of thing that will reach out beyond their target.

Jane Lynch, who plays the cheerleading coach and the nemesis of the entire Glee program, adds tons of fun. I feel like she has been absolutely everywhere lately, but you'll get no complaints from me. The way she deadpans through her lines is completely hilarious.

The thing I like the most so far, though, is that the club really isn't that good. They show really well that they've got the talent and the heart, but since they're just starting up they've got a ways to go if they want to compete in the state competition. And I'm very much looking forward to watching them improve over the course of the season.

No comments: