Friday, September 4, 2009

The Future Of Libraries And Books

The Future Of Libraries And Books

A friend of mine posted an article from CNN on her blog today about libraries and it really got me to thinking. What is the future of libraries?

Here's the article.

In some ways the futuristic library makes sense. After all, most kids went to the library to look up information and that information can be readily found on the internet now. How sad that all the encyclopedias are fast becoming obsolete as a result of technology.

What really disturbed me was the title that said libraries with or without books. The perfect library for me is one that is nothing but books. Any of you that watch Doctor Who might remember thelibrary created for the episode "Silence In The Library." That library would be my idea of bliss.

I can't fathom why people would want to download a book to a device like Kindle, except when they are someone that does a lot of traveling and can't be bogged down with an extra carry on full of books. Then I can understand, though the price of these devices really floors me. $299! My notebook laptop was cheaper than that.

I can't believe its the way reading will be done in the future. I can't be the only one that loves the feel of a book in my hands, turning the pages, smelling the wonderful smell of paper and ink.

You can't get that from a plastic device.

Will libraries then be online? With files that you can only access for a week? Or two?

It boggles the mind.

Actually, I don't even want to think about such a thing. I grew up loving libraries and though I don't go to my local library often, my own house is turning into one.

I understand that progress is a good thing, but the world needs to remember that there can be too much of a good thing as well.

No comments: