Friday, September 25, 2009

Molly's Top 5 movies of the 80s

Molly's Top 5 movies of the 80s

As I've probably demonstrated by now, I'm a huge pop culture nerd. One of the big blinking warning signs of this is my love of top five lists ala High Fidelity. (I suppose that's also a big blinking warning sign of OCD, but c'est la vie.) So I'm trying out a new format by posting excerpts of my big backlog of top fives, starting with my favorite movies from each decade and christening it with the 80s.

The Lost Boys



Other than the whole "Bat Nipples" fiasco, I don't understand the hate for Joel Schumacher. I actually dig his style a bit, especially his sets. At any rate, I'm pretty sure this is my favorite vampire movie. I like my horror injected with a bit of humor, and if my vampires are going to be effeminate, I'd rather them have fluffy hair and earrings than body glitter and abstinence preaching.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure/ Back to the Future



Push comes to shove, these movies are pretty similar: slackers find a purpose in life by going back in time through unconventional methods. It's their differences that make it so hard to choose between them. Bill and Ted arguably have the most quotable lines and continue the grand Dr. Who tradition of time travel through phone booth (which Keanu carried on to The Matrix.) But BTTF had a Huey Lewis theme song! A CUSTOM Huey Lewis theme song! That's hard to trump!

Little Shop of Horrors


Definitely in my top 10 all-time faves because it's a perfect combination of camp, music, sci-fi, 50s tributes, and 80s cheese. Some people have comfort food, I have comfort movies, and this on a sick day is the psychic equivalent of chicken soup.

Heathers



I have a pretty dark sense of humor, and this movie gets it. Christian Slater in top form and hilarious deadpan lines like "I love my dead gay son" put this beyond the realm of 80s teenage revenge movies.

Shock Treatment


I haven't met anyone yet that likes this movie and isn't a hardcore Rocky Horror nerd (if you're out there, say hi!), which is a real pity. To be honest, most days I like this as much as, if not more than, Rocky. The songs are better, and the plot of Denton become a giant reality show set was way ahead of its time. Extra bonus for rad b-movie supastar Jessica Harper!

No comments: