Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Something To Ponder

Something To Ponder

I heard a little piece of information about pets that disturbed me the other day. Did you know that though our animals are living longer these days, cancer is on the rise in our pets.

I've always wanted to shake a fist at the higher power for that, and I've been touched by pets with cancer not once, not twice but three times. Its a horrible thing to have to deal with.

But what is causing it?

Who knows but there are some things we can do that might help and they are much like the precautions we'd take for ourselves. Eat healthy! For the love of God, don't buy the cheapest dog food/cat food out there. Do you know what's in that stuff? You probably don't want to know either!

You know what? If you want to feed your pet table scraps, be careful what you give them but don't be afraid to do it. Dogs and cats will be happy to clean your plate. I know mine are. But watch the kind of the veggies you might give them (onions are a big no no) and the same goes for chocolate. However if your dog wants a piece of roast or chicken, there is no problem there. Think people! What did our animals eat before Purina? Yeah, table scraps! Sure its going to promote begging at the supper table but people had dogs and cats long before Purina and Iams!

The other thing I suggest and we know I'm no vet, but I am an animal lover. Lay off the flea products as much as you can, especially on older pets. No one wants fleas, least of all your pets, but do would you put a pesticide on your skin? That's what those products are. I've used them on my animals. They work...sometimes. However the more I read, the less confidence I have in them and the more fearful I am for my animals. This is one time I'll side with Peta, check out their media sheet here.

Now don't worry. I don't go all out with PETA and I don't subscribe to turning animals vegetarian, because they weren't meant to be. I just think we should all think a little bit more about what we give our pets. Their lives are just as important as ours.

No comments: