Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Castle

Castle

There used to be a time when I didn't watch much TV. Now, I spend significant time every week parked in front of it. I like to think that this is because TV is actually gradually starting to get better, but maybe I'm just rationalizing.

One of the current gems on right now is Castle. And it made it to a second season. That makes me happy, as my last favorite, Life on Mars, got canned, & it makes Nathan Fillion happy because his last show, Firefly, got canned, too. But beyond that, it's wonderful. It has been from the beginning, but it just keeps steadily getting better. And it makes me love Mondays.

It manages to be another crime show without being just any old crime show. It has just the right amount of dark humor to make it stand out & keep it from being another cliched show where someone dies & the cops have to figure out who done it. Take last night, for example, where the precinct was betting on who would solve their case first.

It also kind of feels like a little present from writers to writers. And maybe a little ode to their own line of work.

It's part of what makes Castle smart. I could go on about the individual story lines themselves, but I'm in college & I'm a writing major. I love nerdy humor about the English language & writing in general. So every time Castle got on someone's case about their wording, I laughed. My personal favorite? Castle rambling about "your" vs. "you're." These are the kinds of things that keeps writing majors, grammar Nazis, & general nerds up at night, & the kinds of jokes I find hilarious. I'm not sure how others respond to them, but my brother, for one, is probably at least reminded of me.

It would be easy to write Castle off, no pun intended, as another crime-driven show in a slew of crime-driven TV. We have CSI, Law & Order, Cold Case, it was the premise of my beloved Life on Mars, etc. We like these shows (why else would we have so many variations of Law & Order & CSI alone?) but it would also be easy to get tired of them, with so many out there basically doing the same thing. It's hard to keep it fresh, but somehow, Castle manages it.

So if you're not watching it already, give it a shot. At least do it for Nathan Fillion, & his pretty eyes, if nothing else. It'll brighten your Monday, I promise.

No comments: